Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Another thought on goal reaching

I went to a seminar once and something the speaker said really stuck with me. It was about having dreams and goals. It's not just enough to say you want to do something. You have to have action to get it accomplished. It's easy to say "I want to go on a cruise" and let it just get stuck there in the thought stage. You have to break the whole process down into steps that may seem small at the time, but will lead to your goal in the end. Going on a cruise is one of my goals, so the steps may look something like this:

1. Find out where I want to go and how much it will cost.
2. Start saving excess change toward cruise fund. (This is what I'm doing, you could save a dollar a week or whatever).
3. Find out cruise dates.
4. Get babysitter.
5. Order tickets
6. Get passport if needed.
7. Go on cruise!

There could possibly be more steps. Every step that you take (even if it's saving change) takes you one step closer to your dream. You just have to break down whatever you want to do into tiny manageable steps. It's hard to think that these little steps will make any difference. But if I don't take any steps, I'm sure not to get there!

6 comments:

Char said...

Good idea!! You are right, baby steps can lead to your goal. Every little thing counts!

Cheryl said...

I live off of list like that. Everything I do is on a list. It really does help to break things down, it feels great when you get to mark it. Even chores. Once you write it down it's something you have to do.

SamandSawyersMom said...

I love lists too especially when I am cleaning. I love to mark off things so I put everything I am cleaning on a list. Dust the lampshade, Dust the lamp base, clean the bulb...then I feel so productive even if all I really did is clean a dang lamp. I know you won't let me do this but I would LOVE to keep the boys for your cruise. I would spoil them rotten. I would have my mom help me and we would take them to every fun Cincinnati thing here. Anyway, you can count that off your list if you trust me that is. I have managed to keep 2 alive so far, why not 3 more. I am impressed that you posted twice in one day. I am calling you today cause I need to talk to you. Chow now.

Crystal said...

I agree! I am almost OCD with my lists, to the point that if I do something that is not on my list, I write it on the list just so I can cross it off! LOL I am a sicko!

Crystal said...

Hey, if you are seriously wanting to go on a cruise, I have a lot of tips on how to save money when you go! Just let me know and I can email them to you.

Char said...

Hmmmm... want some help babysitting the boys Sonya? haha! We could take turns! :)