Monday, October 11, 2010

Favorite Books for Kids

I have read some excellent books to the boys lately. I thought I would share them with you here so that you can enjoy them too! The first one is "Pickle Chiffon Pie" by Jolly Roger Bradfield. Written in 1967 but timeless. The story of a king looking for a suitable husband for his daughter the princess. This book will appeal to boys and girls alike. There are 3 men trying to win her hand and only one will succeed. In the end, goodness and kindness win. There is silliness in this book, but also a great lesson on what is important.

(Warning: There is a witch on 2 pages of this book. At one time I wouldn't have read my boys any book with a witch in it. I now take things on a book by book basis. My thoughts on witches haven't changed and the boys know my feelings on it. The morals in the story outweigh the minimal presence she has, in my opinion.)



I can't recommend the Mrs. Rosey Posey series enough! Mrs. Rosey Posey is the endearing neighbor we all wish we had as kids. The stories all have a biblical foundation that is subtle, but definitely there. Great lessons on forgiveness, being set apart, and the greatest treasure of all. These books are Level 2 readers. Too advanced for my boys, but great for me to read to them. I plan to add these to our home library. Other books in the Mrs. Rosey Posey series include " Mrs. Rosey Posey and the Baby Bird", "Mrs. Rosey Pose and the Fine China Plate", and "Mrs. Rosey Posey and the Yum-Yummy Birthday Cake".

Check one or more of these books out of your library and enjoy them with your kids!

If you click on the pictures, they will take you to Amazon where you can read reviews by other readers.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Have you read them the Junie B. books? I know a whole group of kindergarteners who absolutely adore her and I think she's hilarious too.

Char said...

Great book reviews! I'm going to check them out. Thanks!