Thursday, August 09, 2007

Giving God First

It always amazes me that, without fail, when I spend time reading God's word or praying in the morning, he gives me the time afterward to get done what I wanted to get done. The boys are still sleeping and I've gotten the kitchen cleaned, the living room and bedroom picked up, and some clothes picked up and others hung to dry.

I'm a mother, I know it seems hard to make time for God. I would love to be one of those women who says she sets her clock early every morning, gets up, has a cup of chai tea and spends an hour reading God's word and praying. I probably could do that. It would be hard (hard to get up, hard to make myself spend that much time with God when I know there are other things that need my attention too). If I look to spend an hour, I am almost certain to fail.
We had a speaker at church talk one time about how "some is better than none". I think that could apply to a lot of areas in our lives. I can't/won't spend and hour each day with God. But 5/10/15 minutes is better than none. Reading to your child once a week is better than none. Saving $1 is better than saving none. Giving up one pop a day is better than none. Getting one load of laundry done is better than none. Cleaning one room of the house is better than none. Eating healthy one meal a day is better than none. What have you been putting off that you could do a little bit of today? Some IS better than none!

(And now He's given me time to blog!)

7 comments:

SamandSawyersMom said...

wow that is SO true. Gosh that is really cool. I refuse to answer the question though cause I would have a lot of bits of things to do today!

Lura said...

Don't worry, it's supposed to be a rhetorical question!

Amanda said...

I actually really liked this one!

SamandSawyersMom said...

me too

Crystal said...

Good post Lura Lou!!! Very true indeed!

Cheryl said...

good one. I have a little to do a lot of places today.

Char said...

Good, thoughtful post! :)