(Can anyone tell me why every batch comes out looking different than the last? None of them look the same. The first batch on the left looked the best!)
Peanut Butter Crinkles
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 teaspoon soda
1. Cream peanut butter, butter until soft.
2. Add sugars gradually, continuing to cream until light, fluffy.
3. Add egg; beat well.
4. Sift flour, salt, soda together; add in 2 additions; beat well after each addition.
5. Drop from teaspoon, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cooky sheet.
6. Press down each cooky with a fork; press second time so that ridges are at angles.
7. Bake 8-10 minutes in moderate oven 350 F.
8. Yield: 4 1/2 dozen cookies.
I copied this recipe exactly as it was written in Margaret Mitchell's "Mealtime Magic Desserts" cookbook from 1951. I love vintage cookbooks! I thought the spelling of cookie was interesting. I did not sift my flour. I baked my cookies for 7-8 minutes. If you like them chewy, underbake them. I also doubled the recipe and it turned out fine.