Monday, November 30, 2009

Planning and Preparation

I'm trying to make today a planning and preparation day. I really want to do something special with the boys each day in December leading up to Christmas. I have some ideas, but I want to plot them out and be prepared.

I'm also wanting to think about what kinds of things I'd like to do in the new year. Things for school, myself, our house, etc. I want to look at next year's calendar and anticipate things better. Things seem to sneak up on me every year.

I also need to figure out what I have for Christmas and what I still need. I'm done w/ the gifts for the boys. It is so much easier when your kids don't ask for anything and when you only give them 3 gifts! We are also cutting back on gift giving this year in general since I'm no longer working. And honestly, most people are relieved to have others cut back. Most people are wanting and willing to cut back, but are afraid to suggest it.

Yesterday we went to Leeland's baptism. The pastor spoke about the lack of joy in Christmas. The people you see out shopping are not happy. They are just the opposite. They are tired, grumpy, rude, etc. I hate buying a gift just for the sake of buying a gift. There is really no purpose in it.

So things will be simple around here this year. But in a lot of ways, not really that different from years past. My kids won't notice any difference at all and for that I'm thankful. Now, time to get on to that planning!

2 comments:

Char said...

Go forth and plan and prepare with your bad self!!! I'll be here for ya - keeping you from planning and preparing. HAHA

SamandSawyersMom said...

i hate almost every gift i buy..i just hate all of it. i buy gift cards just so they will actually use my gift but I hate that part too. so you are right ..no joy!!